Sunday 3 May 2009

How to be a millipede.

I have not abandoned this, I have not forgotten this, and like so many other things, this is now another source of guilt. Guilt for not finishing, for not keeping up, for not being able to devote enough time and loving care to it.

Beloved (is he beloved??) and I are going through a very rough patch... It's been almost all-consuming. It's not working well at all, between us just now. I'll leave that story for another time though...

On top of that there is my little business. It desperately needs a boost in these times of downturn and despair, so I've decided to give it another outlet, namely through an Internet shop. Now, THAT... That is not as easy as it seems! In effect it means that I'll be running 2 retail outlets, one virtual one and one actual physical shop. Both will be drawing from the same stock, and so my usually messy book-keeping will now need to be brought up to scratch. I will need to allocate an individual identification code plus description to each article, and that is just the stuff that is working in the background... not a spot of designing has been done to present my online shop in a nice way yet!

It has suddenly made me realise how much is actually already involved in my shop here. When I signed up for the web hosting, I was asked if I wanted the basic package, which allows you to list up to 2000 products on your site, or if I wanted the more extensive package, which supports 10000 items. I laughed, 2000 items?? Haha! Of course that would be more than sufficient!
And then I looked at how everything needs its own identification number, and realised that I probably have around 300 different kinds of ribbon alone!! I don't dare to think of how many different buttons I have.... And those are just little things. Anyway, I've decided to start simple, and the ribbons and buttons might just have to wait for a space on my e-shelves.

And then... on top of that I've been sewing dresses, dresses and more dresses. Most of them not to order, just as one-offs, they are currently gracing the walls, shelves and rails in my little shop, and that, thankfully, has led to an order for 9 dresses! ..... Only snag? They have to be ready in 4 weeks! YIKES!!!

Well, I'll figure out one day how to be a millipede... all those hands would really be what I need.

And then there is one more thing.... I am missing my little Belgium, so so so so very very badly. It has been tearing me into pieces lately, and keep wondering what on earth I'm doing here in this cold country so far away from everything that is part of me...

Well, I'll keep you posted. And you will all be invited to the official opening of my Internet shop... once it is ready to go live. Hope you'll stick with me for now, I promise I'll post more once things calm down, in every possible way.

Love,

POC x

No comments:

Post a Comment