Tuesday 10 March 2009

My beloved, the prison warden.






Beloved has done it..(again.... sigh!)

He's a desperate scatterbrain at the best of times, with the scattering of brain generally peaking in the mornings. The thing is, he needs looking after. When left unsupervised, things inevitably go wrong.

My function, apart from being the loving other half, is that of P.A.

In the mornings he has an early start, the alarm goes off at 6, but often he's up and about before that. I, myself, have, with a bit of luck, just about fallen asleep by that time. I do generally wake up, but find myself just too dazed, confused and bleary-eyed to get up. So, beloved tends to get up on his own, have some breakfast, after which he sets off on a one hour and fifteen minute journey to work.

When I get up, around 7.30, to get the Little Haggis ready for school, I am no longer surprised to find a range of forgotten items. They vary from his packed lunch to his mobile phone and on occasions I will find a range of "well done" and "great work" stamps or a lost and lonely looking protractor.

Beloved is a Maths teacher, and so my house is littered with a cornucopia of all things mathematical.

This morning was no exception. The first thing I noticed as I put the kettle on for my morning rescue coffee, was his packed lunch. Lunch moved into fridge, I went about the normal business of getting L'Haggis' breakfast, last minute ironing of a school top and generally letting the coffee do its work of waking me up.

L'Haggis has started to walk to school by herself recently, so in the mornings, I see her off at the front door with hugs and kisses and the compulsory motherly "be careful!".

As she was ready to set off this morning, I went to get the keys to unlock the door.

...


That is, I tried, but could not find them anywhere.

I knew there could only be one culprit: Beloved!

And so - thankfully he had actually managed to take his mobile, unlike the day before, when that was the item of the day to be forgotten - I called him up and asked if he knew where my keys were...


Him:"mmmm...no idea...., why?"


Me: "could you have picked them up by mistake and have them in your pocket?"


Him:"Don't think so, why would I do that?"


Me:"Could you just have a look, so that I know if there is any point in turning the household on its head in order to find those keys?"


Him: "I'm doing that now.......... pause-rustling of objects-pause...... No.. Don't have them..... pause.... Oh, ah, ermmmm... well, ermm, I've just found them in my pocket, erm, must have picked them up, not sure why I did that.... sorry"


Me: "Do you realise that that means you've locked us in?"


Him: "Oh......"



We are now locked up in the house for the day. It's not a disaster, in fact L'Haggis thinks it's great, just like a bit of an adventure. Thankfully, I don't need to go out for any reason, and my shop is currently closed for a couple of weeks anyway. Had that not been the case though, I would have been unable to open up, and that is NOT GOOD! We can still get out into the garden, but that's where it ends, the garden is completely walled in. Oh, we do have ladders of course, and we could use them to get over the wall into the neighbours garden, but somehow I just didn't think that was a suitable route for L'Haggis to take to school this morning. There's time enough to brave the 8 foot wall if a fire broke out...



Currently Little Haggis is happily playing with the two cats, while I write this. Last night she made a drawing. Paper and pencils in hand, she sat and observed me, whilst drawing away. Of course I wasn't allowed to have a look. It was very near her bedtime, and we were all ready and showered, dressed in our jammies and dressing gowns. I did not get the permission to look at her drawing last night. Instead, she decided to make an envelope and told me I was allowed to open it in the morning.


She's captured me really well. It's me alright, complete with the big boobs, wrapped up in my spotty dressing gown, laptop on my lap. She has even made a great job of the setting too, detailing the objects around me.



Like mother, like daughter... Drawing is in our blood, and this little one has definitely inherited the artistic gene.



Btw... The picture on top of my site is the last painting I've completed. Those who are familiar with the Berwick-upon-Tweed lighthouse might feel a hint of recognition. I did apply a healthy dose of artistic license though. I don't like concrete, so grass it had to be instead.



Hoping to get my paint brushes out this afternoon, God I wish this little break could go on forever.

3 comments:

  1. Seems to be shaping up nicely ;?))

    I also found you via your comment at PA. I have enjoyed reading about you and your life. The fact that English is your second language is barely noticeable. Ik spreek ook Nederlands maar eigenlijk is dat mijn tweede taal! So, a couple of coincidences. I've been here (Amsterdam)eleven years too.

    Hope you enjoy the inevitable 'commentfest'.

    Rudi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Rudi, of moet ik gewoonweg dankjewel zeggen? The writing itself is sort of cathartic, but the commentfest, as you call it, is really what I'm looking forward to. It will be so nice to exchange thoughts with people, and extra interesting to actually get in touch with others in the same situation, even if in another country and from a different origin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way Little Haggis drew the lamp! Full of character :) I'll keep checking back to see your newest posts

    ReplyDelete